Monday, February 15, 2010

Tortilla Troubles

Posted in by blkris | Edit
I didn't have any tortillas last night to go with my Bajio Chicken salad (we wanted to make it more like burritos than an actual salad), so I used this recipe my sister in law sent me. It worked in a pinch (and my daughter had fun rolling them!), but it was really not my favorite recipe. It says it makes 15-20, but when I first started rolling them out, they were really thin. They almost turned out crunchy because they were too thin. I started adding two together to make them thicker and they turned out a little better. Still not my favorite though. Any ideas, or thoughts? Any great tortilla recipes?

Home Made Tortillas

2 cups – All Purpose Flour
½ tsp. salt
2/3 cup warm water
¼ cup oil
Additional Flour

Rub flour, salt, & oil together with your fingers until completely
incorporated and fine crumbs form.  Pour water into dry ingredients and
immediately work it in with a fork.  Dough will be in large clumps.
Sprinkle flour and knead until smooth, about 2 minutes.  Divide dough into
12 – 15 portions and shape into balls about 2 inches in diameter.  Set
dough balls on a plate, cover with plastic wrap, and let dough rest for at
least 30 minutes before baking.  Roll out until thin, rolling from the
center to the outside. It may be helpful to roll the dough between 2 sheets
of plastic wrap.  Bake on very hot, ungreased griddle until freckled, about
20 seconds on each side.  Serve warm.

0 Comments


Leave a Comment