Friday, February 19, 2010

Bow Tie Pasta and Chicken

Posted in , , by blkris | Edit
I checked out a couple of cookbooks at the library this week, and found this recipe.  I  made it last night and it was REALLY good.  Not as good the second day for lunch, but still very yummy, so deserves to be on my Yummy Grub site.  I made a few adjustments though, as always (which I will put in parenthesis below).  Hope you like it though!

From Turn up the Heat with G.Garvin


Ingredients:
4 Tbs olive oil
salt
1 16 oz. pkg bow tie pasta ( I didn't have this so I used penne noodles.  I also was cooking for 2 adults, and 2 kids, so I cooked a 12 oz. box and probably only used 6 oz.)
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cooked (I chopped mine into bits, cooked them on the stove at Medium heat with olive oil, chopped garlic, and seasoned with season salt, italian seasoning, and onion salt.)
8 asparagus spears, blanched (To blanch, place in boiling water for a minute or so until it turns bright green.  Transfer to ice water.  Drain well.) (I used 8 spears, but next time will definitely use more like 10-12.)
2 Tbs. chopped garlic ( I didn't do quite 2 Tbs.)
2 Tbs. chopped shallot ( I didn't have this so I used a yellow onion)
1 C. chopped tomato
1/2 C. tomato sauce
1/4 C. grated Parmesan cheese
2 Tbs. chopped fresh basil  (Didn't have fresh, I used about 1 tsp. dried)
2 tsp. chopped fresh Italian parsley ( Ditto to above, but used 1 tsp. dried) )
1/2 tsp black pepper
3 Tbs. unsalted butter
Grated Parmesan cheese
Chopped fresh basil and fresh Italian parsley

1.  In a large pot combine 2 quarts of water with 2 Tbs. of the olive oil and a pinch salt; bring to a boil.  Add pasta; cook according to package directions until tender.  Drain pasta; place in a bowl and keep warm.

2.  Break chicken into small pieces and set aside.  Chop asparagus into 1-inch pieces and set aside.

3.  In a medium pot heat the remaining 2 Tbs. olive oil over medium- high heat.  Add chicken, asparagus, garlic, and shallot; stir (I also had a lot of mushrooms, thanks to buying bulk at Costco!, so added a couple handfuls of chopped mushrooms).  Add chopped tomato, tomato sauce, the 1/4 C. Parmesan cheese, 2 Tbs basil (adjust if using dried), 2 tsp parsley (adjust if using dried), the pepper, and a pinch of salt; stir.  Reduce heat to low and let simmer for 10 minutes.

4.  Add pasta to pot and stir to combine.  Add butter (next time I will use less butter) and stir until melted.  Spoon mixture onto serving platter.  Garnish with additional Parmesan cheese, basil, and parsley.

0 Comments


Leave a Comment