Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Creamy Chicken & Tomato Chowder

Posted in by blkris | Edit
I have made this recipe a few times and LOVE IT! Another great bhg.com recipe. The recipe calls for shrimp, but my kids eat chicken better, so I substitute. I just cook up the chicken in a pan with some salt, pepper, minced garlic, and season salt. Then dice and add to the soup. This calls for foccacia wedges to dip in it, but I have used rosemary olive oil bread and that is delicious too. And tonight with this chowder, I am trying some of my hurry-up biscuits with rosemary added to them. YUM!

  • 2 stalks celery, chopped (1 cup)
  • 1 medium onion, chopped (1/2 cup)
  • 1 Tbsp. olive oil
  • 2 14.5 oz. cans diced tomatoes with basil, garlic, and oregano, undrained (I chop these before adding into the soup)
  • 8 oz. medium peeled cooked shrimp
  • 1/2 cup whipping cream
  • 1/2 cup water
  • Ground Black Pepper
  • Slivered fresh basil
  • Foccacia wedges

1. In a large saucepan cook celery and onion in hot oil just until tender. Stir in tomatoes; heat through. Add shrimp, whipping cream, and water. Cook over medium heat just until hot. Season to taste with salt & pepper.

2. Ladle chowder into bowls; top with basil. Serve with focaccia wedges. Serves 4 (1-1/2-cup servings).

* I am not a fan of basil so I usually omit that step. It is still delicious!

0 Comments


Leave a Comment