Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Sticky Coconut Chicken

Posted in , by blkris | Edit

This was DELICIOUS! I have wanted to try coconut chicken, and I was VERY pleased with this recipe. Of course, there are things I will do differently next time. I tried sprinkling dried coconut onto the chicken while it was on the grill, but this was just a waste of time. After turning the chicken over a couple times, the coconut just fell off. I marinated the chicken for about 3 hours. Next time, I will try about 6 hours to give it more flavor. The "sticky" glaze measurements seemed like a lot to me, so I cut it into thirds since I was only cooking 2 chicken breasts instead of 6-8 thighs. The glaze cooked down quite a bit and I ended up only being able to drizzle this over the chicken instead of covering it. I think I will make the whole amount next time to make sure I have enough. I also cooked up the glaze too far in advance and when I went to put it on the chicken, it was almost a solid so I had to reheat it. I know, I am picky and have too many things to change, but really... this was REALLY GOOD! I only used half a can of coconut milk for my marinade with two chicken breasts, and so did as the recipe suggested and used the other half for some of the liquid for the rice. It was a different, almost sweet flavor, but I added a little salt and it was a great combination of flavors! We had leftover coconut rice and leftover meat from the Hoisin Chicken Rice Bowls, so my husband combined the two for a leftover lunch and he said it was really good.



6-8 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
1 cup canned coconut milk
1 Tbsp. minced fresh ginger
1 tsp. fresh ground pepper
1 tsp. red pepper flakes
Marinade chicken in coconut milk, ginger, pepper and red pepper flakes at least one hour (I let mine marinade four about four to five hours). Grill on barbecue.
Glaze:
3/4 cup rice vinegar
1/2 cup sugar
3 Tbsp. soy sauce
1 tsp. red pepper flakes
While the chicken is grilling, bring above ingredients to a boil over medium-high heat and cook until mixture is reduced and thickened, about 8-10 minutes. Be patient because it takes a little while. But once it starts getting really thick, immediately take it off the heat! Glaze both sides of chicken the last few minutes of grilling and serve chicken over rice.
Sidenote: I used the extra coconut milk left in the can as part of the liquid in my rice and it was unbelievable! It was very mildly sweet and paired so well with the chicken. Yum!

1 commentsSticky Coconut Chicken


  1. ReeSe says:

    I'm going to have to try this one! Keep 'em coming :)

    September 3, 2009 at 6:33 AM

Leave a Comment