Thursday, September 17, 2009

Chocolate Zucchini Bread

Posted in by blkris | Edit

I know most of my posts say that the food I made was delicious, well, this one was too. Really, why would I post a recipe of something that wasn't delicious? I am a sweet bread fanatic, and a lover of chocolate, so what is better than a sweet bread with chocolate in it?? AND, this one has vegetables too! I know, I know, the chocolate, sugar and cooking it defeats the whole nutritional value of the zucchini, but it makes me feel a little better when I eat half a loaf! ENJOY!

Chocolate Zucchini Bread {makes 2 loaves}
Recipe by ourbestbites

2 C flour (I used 1 c. white and 1 c. wheat flour)
2 t cinnamon
1/2 t salt
1 1/2 t baking soda
6 T unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 C canola oil (next time I will try applesauce as a replacement)
1 C sugar ( I did about 3/4 c. sugar instead but could have probably even done 1/2 c.)
1/4 C brown sugar
3 eggs
2 t vanilla
1/2 C sour cream
3 C grated zucchini (About 3 medium sized zucchinis)
3/4 C mini chocolate chips (who wants mini? I used the real deal!)

Topping: (this makes a lot; maybe cut in half)
2 T brown sugar
2 T white sugar
1/2 t cinnamon


Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour 2 loaf pans and set aside. I used one medium sized aluminum pan, and 3 small aluminum pans (the small ones are nice to give away!)

Mix topping ingredients in a small bowl and set aside. (The topping made way more than what I wanted, so you could probably cut this in half or even get rid of it all together and the bread would still be great!)

Place flour, cinnamon, baking soda, salt, and cocoa powder in a small bowl and whisk to combine. Set aside.

With a stand or hand mixer beat oil, white sugar, brown sugar, and eggs until combined and slightly fluffy, 1-2 minutes.

Add vanilla and sour cream and mix until combined.

Gently stir in the grated zucchini.

Take a spoonful of the flour mixture and stir in with the chocolate chips (that will help keep them evenly distributed.) If you only have regular chocolate chips, or a chocolate bar, just give it a chop so it's the size of mini chocolate chips. Stir remaining flour mixture into batter and mix just until combined. Add chocolate chips and stir to combine.

Divide the batter between the two pans. and sprinkle topping over each.

Bake in your preheated 350 degree oven for 50-60 minutes. (I checked mine at 45 min. but they were done at about 50 min.)

When it's done a toothpick or skewer should come out without goopy batter on it and the top will be gorgeous and cracked with sugar.


Let it cool on a rack for 5-10 minutes and then remove from pans.

0 Comments


Leave a Comment