Saturday, August 11, 2012

Sundried Tomato and Garlic Couscous with Chicken

Posted in , by blkris | Edit
This was delicious!!  I wasn't so sure when I saw the recipe.  I used to buy a box of couscous a few years ago and wanted to try it on my own.  I have not been able to find a recipe that gives it as much flavor as those boxes though.  This recipe actually made it taste great!  It tasted like bruschetta.  YUM!  I love couscous for the fact that it is done in 5 minutes.  Literally!  My kids ate it really well and it is just light and fluffy.  A great alternative to pasta or rice in your meal.  This is definitely not enough for a meal though, more of a side.  But, with 3 kids, some days this would be enough and others like today, it was not.  You never know how kids are going to eat from day to day.  And now, 2 hours later, my hubby and I are eating pizza :)  I even added 2 cooked, chopped chicken breasts!  I will double this next time and add another vegetable other than peas as a side.

Found on:  Munchin with Munchkin


Sundried Tomato and Garlic Couscous
¾ cup couscous
1 cup water
3 tbsp. olive oil, divided
2 green onions, finely chopped (I think I ended up using 3)
¼ cup sundried tomatoes (I didn't have any of these but had some fresh tomatoes so used about 1 medium sized tomato)
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp. dried oregano
1 tsp. dried basil (I used about 1 Tbs. FRESH basil)
1 tsp. onion powder (Mine is onion salt so I omitted the salt below)
2 tbsp. lemon juice
salt and pepper to taste
In a medium pot, bring one cup of water to a boil. Add one tablespoon of olive oil and ½ teaspoon of salt to the water. Stir in couscous, cover and remove from heat. Let stand 5 minutes.
In a small skillet, heat remaining olive oil over medium heat. Add green onions and sundried tomatoes; sauté for about two minutes. Add garlic and continue to sauté until the garlic is fragrant, about 30 seconds to one minute.
Fluff couscous with a fork and stir in the sundried tomato mixture. Sprinkle with oregano, basil and onion powder. Drizzle the couscous with lemon juice and salt and pepper to taste.
Serve warm or cold.
Serves 2-4

0 Comments


Leave a Comment