Thursday, August 2, 2012

Fresh Homemade Pesto

Posted in by blkris | Edit
My neighbor gave me some fresh basil and it needed to get used.  I decided on some fresh pesto!  I haven't made it in a long time and couldn't remember the old recipe.  So here is one that looked the same and it tasted great!  Pesto is great on warm pasta and sandwiches and so much more.  I only had 1 cup basil so I cut everything in half.  I wanted to freeze it to use for later so I put small amounts in ice cube trays and will freeze, then put in a ziploc bag to pop one out for whenever I need one!  With this amount, I was able to get 8 ice cubes full.

Found on: Simply Recipes

Fresh Basil Pesto Recipe

  • Prep time: 10 minutes

Ingredients

  • 2 cups fresh basil leaves, packed
  • 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan-Reggiano or Romano cheese
  • 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
  • 1/3 cup pine nuts or walnuts
  • 3 medium sized garlic cloves, minced
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
  • Special equipment needed: A food processor

Method

1 Combine the basil in with the pine nuts, pulse a few times in a food processor. (If you are using walnuts instead of pine nuts and they are not already chopped, pulse them a few times first, before adding the basil.) Add the garlic, pulse a few times more.
2 Slowly add the olive oil in a constant stream while the food processor is on. Stop to scrape down the sides of the food processor with a rubber spatula. Add the grated cheese and pulse again until blended. Add a pinch of salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.
Serve with pasta, or over baked potatoes, or spread over toasted baguette slices.
Yield: Makes 1 cup.

0 Comments


Leave a Comment