Thursday, August 9, 2012

Freezer Blackberry Jam

Posted in by blkris | Edit
A friend let me pick her blackberries the other day and I decided to make jam with them!  I LOVE homemade jam.  I have never attempted blackberry before, so was excited to try.  My hubby found a container of Ball Pectin at the store that is for low or no sugar recipes, which is what I wanted.  And I found this recipe online.  It turned out great and was a nice topping for my berry pancakes!

Found on: Fresh Preserving

Makes about 4 to 5 (8 oz) half pints
Refrigerate for up to three-weeks or freeze to enjoy for a year.

You will need:
3 cups crushed blackberries (4 pints)
1-3/4 cups unsweetened cranberry-raspberry or apple juice (I used 100% Apple)
3 Tbsp Ball® RealFruit™ Low or No-Sugar Needed Pectin
Up to 3 cups sugar, 1-1/2 cups SPLENDA® No Calorie Sweetener, Granular, 3/4 to 1 cup honey, or desired amount of other artificial sweeteners (optional)  (I used 3/4 C Agave nectar)
4 to 5 (8 oz) half pint glass preserving jars with lids and bands (I used the plastic freezer containers)

Directions:
1.) GRADUALLY add pectin into cranberry-raspberry or apple juice until dissolved. Bring to a full rolling boil that cannot be stirred down, over medium-high heat, stirring frequently. Boil hard 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. 
2.) IMMEDIATELY add prepared blackberries into hot pectin mixture. Stir vigorously for 1 minute. Stir in sugar, SPLENDA® No Calorie Sweetener, Granular, other artificial sweetener, or honey according to the directions above. 
3.) LADLE freezer jam into clean freezer jars leaving 1/2 inch headspace. Apply caps and let jam stand in refrigerator until set, but no longer than 24 hours. Serve immediately, refrigerate up to 3 weeks, or freeze up to 1 year.

0 Comments


Leave a Comment