Thursday, June 7, 2012

No Bake Energy Bites

This was another Pinterest find.  I was not a huge fan of them the first time we made them.  They tasted more or less like a peanut butter honey sandwich.  I had a bad aversion to bread when I was prego with my last and since then, have had a hard time eating a PBH sandwich.  My husband and kids loved them though and my hubby said they would be great snacks after a long run for him.  So, we tried again.  And now I can't keep my hands off of them.  BUT, they are HEALTHY!! NO SUGAR! Hooray for a healthy snack and one that I made so I know what the ingredients are!  I used to make granola bars, which I loved, but they took a little bit of work with the toasting, cooking the sauce, etc.  And, they had brown sugar and butter in them, which if you only use a little, is not a huge deal.  But, these are so much EASIER and healthier!  The possibilities are endless with the substitutions of nuts, dried fruit and honey or agave nectar as your sweetener.  Have fun and play around with the amounts to fit your needs.  Here you go! 


Adapted from: Smashed Peas and Carrots

No-Bake Energy Bites 
(makes 18-20 bites) We make a DOUBLE BATCH, put it in a 9x13 glass pan (ungreased), push it down to make sure it is all stuck together, cover with saran wrap and put in the fridge for an hour or so.  Then I cut them into small bars and freeze them all in a ziploc bag.  They don't last very long :)
-To make these into our granola bars, I only do 1/2 C. coconut and add 1/2 C. craisins.  Also add about 1/4C.each sunflower seeds, raw cashews, & pumpkin seedsThen we add about another 1/4C. more of peanut butter and a couple drizzles of Agave Nectar (similar to honey, but not as thick; has a little bit of a maple flavor too)That is a ROUGH estimate.  Just play with the amounts of what you and your family like.  This last batch, we also added 1/4C. softened Organic coconut oil (which is a great natural energy booster!).
1 cup oatmeal
1/2 cup peanut butter (or other nut butter) (Make sure it is a NATURAL peanut butter; as in, no other ingredients except for peanuts and maybe a little salt.  There's no need for added sugar or anything else.  Adams brand is a really great one to use.)
1/3 cup honey
1 cup coconut flakes
1/2 cup ground flaxseed
1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
1 tsp vanilla
Mix everything above in a medium bowl until thoroughly incorporated.  Let chill in the refrigerator for half an hour.  Once chilled, roll into balls and enjoy!  Store in an airtight container and keep refrigerated for up to 1 week.

0 Comments


Leave a Comment