Saturday, April 16, 2011

Apple Cake

Posted in by blkris | Edit
Here is a recipe I got from my sis, who got it from a friend.  Thanks again!! 
This is a great recipe for parties.  It serves lots of people and is always a hit.  Don't look closely at the ingredients and don't think about calories when eating or making it though.  This is NOT a low -cal food.  But oh -so comforting and yummy!

From Catherine F.

1 1/2 C. oil (you can decrease the oil by up to 1/2 C. and replace it with water; it is just a little less moist)
2 C. sugar
3 eggs
2 1/2 C. sifted flour (I never sift mine!  I use 2 C. white flour, 1/2 C. whole wheat to make myself feel                                    a little healthier!)
1 tsp. salt ( I used sea salt tonight)
1 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 C. peeled and chopped apples
1 C. chopped pecans (optional)

Optional Spices:
1 tsp. cinnamon, 1/2 tsp. nutmeg, 1 tsp. ground cloves ( I ALWAYS use the spices.  Don't think it would be as good without them!  But I omit the cloves because I never have them on hand)

-Grease and flour bundt pan.  
-Combine oil, sugar, and eggs and beat well.
-In separate bowl, sift together flour, salt, baking soda, and baking powder (and spices if using)
-Gradually add flour mixture to creamed mixture, beating well; add vanilla.
-Fold in apples and nuts
-Pour into pan
-Bake at 350 for one hour (I check mine at 45 min.)
-After cake has cooled, invert onto a serving plate and cover with glaze.

Glaze:
Beat together:
2 Tbs. butter melted
2 Tbs. milk
1 C. powdered sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/4 ts. lemon extract

0 Comments


Leave a Comment