Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Coconut shrimp with Fiery Mango sauce

Posted in , by blkris | Edit
I "heart" shrimp.  So if it is on sale, a really good sale, or for a special occasion, I get it.  I found this recipe for coconut shrimp in Cooking Light magazine and it turned out great!  Although, I will make sure that I have the shrimp all coated with everything before I start cooking instead of doing it while I go.  Yeah, I know.... duh!  But, when you are juggling two kids, and nursing a baby, you do what you can, right?  The sweet coconut is great with the salty taste of the shrimp and breadcrumbs.  YUM!  My kids didn't eat these, so I just cooked them for my hubby and I and did probably about 3/4 pound of shrimp, paired with green beans and orzo with parmesean and basil.  Delicious!

From Cooking Light magazine Jan/Feb 2010

28 jumbo shrimp (about 1 1/2 pounds)
1/2 C flaked sweetened coconut
1/2 C panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)
1/3 C cornstarch
3 egg whites, lightly beaten
1/2 tsp salt
8 tsp oil, divided
Cooking spray

-Peel and devein shrimp, leaving tails intact, discard shells (or you can save time and get the already cooked and peeled shrimp from the butcher's counter in your store!)
-Place coconut in a food processor; pulse 6 times or until finely chopped.  Add panko; pulse to combine. Place coconut mixture in a shallow dish.  Place cornstarch in a shallow dish.  Sprinkle shrimp evenly with 1/2 tsp salt.  Working with 1 shrimp at a time, dredge shrimp in cornstarch, shaking off excess.  Dip in egg whites; dredge in coconut mixture.
-Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.  Add 2 tsp oil to pan; swirl to coat.  Add 7 shrimp to pan; coat tops of shrimp with cooking spray.  Cook shrimp 2 1/2 min. on each side or until done.  Repeat procedure 3 times with remaining oil and shrimp.
4 servings

They also had a Fiery Mango Sauce with this, that I actually didn't make.  Didn't have the ingredients for it or the time, and I thought the shrimp was good plain.  But in case you want it, here is the recipe!

1 tsp oil
2/3 C finely chopped onion
1/2 tsp grated peeled fresh ginger
1 garlic clove, minced
1 (12 oz) can mango nectar
1/4 Scotch bonnet pepper, unseeded
1 1/2 Tbs fresh lime juice
1/8 tsp salt

Heat a small saucepan over medium-high heat.  Add 1 tsp oil to pan; swirl to coat.  Add onion, ginger, and garlic; saute 3 min., stirring frequently.  Add nectar and pepper; bring to a boil.  Cook 10 min or until reduced to 3/4 C.  Remove from heat; let stand 10 min.  Place mixture in a blender; process until smooth.  Stir in juice and 1/8 tsp. salt.  Cool.

0 Comments


Leave a Comment