Friday, November 13, 2009

French Bread

Posted in by blkris | Edit
I tried my mother-in-law's french bread recipe for the first time yesterday. I have to say it tasted really good, but did not look as pretty as hers and did not rise as well (I am wondering if it is because I did half whole wheat and half white flour??). I guess I have some work to do and more years ahead to perfect this.

Makes 2 loaves. Cook at 400 fr 30 min.

Dissolve 2 tsp. yeast in 3 C. warm water and let sit for a few minutes until bubbly.

Add and stir with wooden spoon:
1 1/2 Tbs sugar
1 1/2 Tbs oil
1/2 tsp salt
6 C flour

Rest 10 minutes. Stir and rest 5 times. Divide in half and rest 5 minutes. Roll in a rectangle and roll up (like you are rolling dough for cinnamon rolls). Place on a greased cookie sheet. Cut slits on top and brush with milk. Let rise for 1 1/2 hours. Then bake.

0 Comments


Leave a Comment