Sunday, May 29, 2011

Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup

Posted in , by blkris | Edit
My mother in law makes her own chicken noodle soup and homemade noodles.  My husband has always loved it and we wanted some a while ago.  Of course, I didn't think about asking her until too late, so I found this recipe on the Food Network.  I made homemade noodles to go with it, but still have not found a recipe I really like for that yet.  Hope you like this!


Ingredients

  • 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 3 garlic cloves, minced
  • 2 medium carrots, cut diagonally into 1/2-inch-thick slices
  • 2 celery ribs, halved lengthwise, and cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
  • 4 fresh thyme sprigs (I used a couple dashes of dried thyme)
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 2 quarts chicken stock, (recipe on the Food Network website)
  • 8 ounces dried wide egg noodles (I used homemade, but am still looking for a really good recipe!)
  • 1 1/2 cups shredded cooked chicken
  • Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 handful fresh flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped

Directions

Place a soup pot over medium heat and coat with the oil. Add the onion, garlic, carrots, celery, thyme and bay leaf. Cook and stir for about 6 minutes, until the vegetables are softened but not browned. Pour in the chicken stock and bring the liquid to a boil. Add the noodles and simmer for 5 minutes until tender. Fold in the chicken, and continue to simmer for another couple of minutes to heat through; season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with chopped parsley before serving.


Included in this recipe on the site is a recipe for chicken stock.  I save time and just use the chicken stock I buy at the store!

0 Comments


Leave a Comment